CHOICE notable educational name for 2009
"This ground-breaking source is strongly urged for all libraries and wellbeing and fitness and welfare institutional depots; crucial for collage collections, in particular these catering to social reports programs."
—Library magazine, STARRED Review
Children and adults spend loads of time in actions we predict of as "play," together with video games, activities, and leisure pursuits. with out brooding about it very deeply, virtually every person might agree that such actions are enjoyable, enjoyable, and wonderful. even though, play has many reasons that run a lot deeper than uncomplicated leisure. for kids, play has a variety of features resembling pageant, following principles, accepting defeat, opting for leaders, workout management, training grownup roles, and taking dangers for you to gain rewards. For adults, many video games and activities function risk free releases of emotions of aggression, pageant, and intergroup hostility.
The Encyclopedia of Play in modern Society explores the idea that of play in heritage and glossy society within the usa and across the world. Its scope encompasses relaxation and leisure actions of youngsters and adults during the a while, from cube video games within the Roman Empire to games this present day. With greater than 450 entries, those volumes don't comprise insurance activities and recreation groups yet, as an alternative, conceal the loads of video games performed to not earn cash yet as casual job. All points of play—from studying to pageant, mastery of nature, socialization, and cooperation—are integrated. barely enough, this Encyclopedia explores play performed for the thrill of it!
- Available in either print and digital formats
- Provides entry to the attention-grabbing literature that has explored questions of psychology, studying thought, video game conception, and heritage in depth
- Considers the impacts of play on baby and grownup improvement, fairly on healthiness, creativity, and imagination
- Contains entries that describe either grownup and youth play and video games in dozens of cultures all over the world and all through history
- Explores the delicate analyses of social thinkers reminiscent of Huizinga, Vygotsky, and Sutton-Smith, in addition to the wide range of video games, toys, activities, and entertainments came across round the world
- Presents cultures as different because the historical heart East, sleek Russia, and China and in countries as faraway as India, Argentina, and France
- Adult Games
- Board and Card Games
- Children's Games
- History of Play
- Outdoor video games and beginner Sports
- Play and Education
- Play round the World
- Psychology of Play
- Sociology of Play
- Toys and Business
- Video and on-line Games
For an issue we generally think of light-hearted, play as a learn subject has generated an in depth and complicated literature, exploring more than a few penetrating questions. This two-volume set serves as a normal, nontechnical source for lecturers, researchers, and scholars alike. it's a necessary addition to any educational library.